Thornbury Parish

Home Communications Church Services Music Parish Calendar People Groups Parish Life

© Thornbury Parish Church 2005-2015


In the Parish Church of St Mary, Thornbury, and the Church of St Paul, The Hackett, about twenty couples are married each year. Most weddings take place on Saturdays.

Details of fees for 2014 are £587 for the basic wedding and £100 for an organist with optional extras including choir, bells and flowers.

The first step in booking your wedding is to contact the parish office, you will then be invited to meet the vicar and discuss your requirements. A £50 deposit will be payable at this stage. Three to four mouths before your wedding you will be invited to a meeting with the vicar at which the details of your wedding will be finalised , an order of service prepared and the full fees paid. Your banns will normally be called on the first three Sundays of the month following.

All those resident in the Parish in Thornbury are eligible to be married in Church. If neither the bride or groom is resident then it is possible to get married if one of the parties has a close connection with the parish. If none of these apply it is still possible if one of the parties worships with us on a regular basis for six months. It is also possible to be married by common licence and the condition of this licence is that one or other of the parties is resident in the parish for 14 days prior to swearing an affidavit. There are other possibilities but these are the main ones.

It is possible in certain circumstances to remarry those who have been divorced. This is a matter for the Vicar in consultation with the Bishop of Gloucester and you will need to meet the Vicar to discuss this before you can make a booking.

It is also possible to have a service of blessing of marriage after a register office wedding. A blessing service is £450 with additional / optional expenses as required as advised by the office.

The calling of banns for a wedding in another Church is £34.

Please contact Gemma in the Office at St Mary’s Church, Thornbury Monday to Friday between 9.30 and 12noon, tel 01454 281900  or send an email if you wish to book.

The Parish of Thornbury has joined the Your Church Wedding Project and you can access the The Wedding Project Resource Centre by clicking on the banner below


The Order for a Marriage Service - Common Worship can be downloaded in to MS-Word by clicking Marriage - Normal order of service

You can find music & readings for your wedding day by Clicking Here

The Royal School of Church Music also provides advice about music for weddings

Please note, fees displayed on this site are for the specified year only.  Fees change annually and the fee payable is that which is in force for the year in which your service takes place, irrespective of the fees in force at the time of your enquiry or booking